The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians is a foundation and was formed to assist new Irish immigrants combat homesickness through fellowship with other people of Irish decent or find employment or housing if needed. Our members live in Washington DC or Maryland counties of Montgomery or Prince Georges and the Archdiocese of Washington. We are women who gather to celebrate our irish culture or history and the catholic faith.
Meetings are held at the Knights of Columbus Rosensteel Hall in Silver Spring MD at 1:30 pm on the 4th Sunday of January, February, April, June, September, October. Rosensteel Hall is at 9700 Rosensteel Avenue, just behind the Forest Glen Metro Station and not far from Beltway and Georgia Avenue.
- St. Brigid Mass – First Sunday in February at the Basilica of National Shrine in the Brigid Chapel, Crypt Church. Chapel donated by the Ladies Auxillary of the Ancient Order of Hibernians in 1928.
- Nuns of Battlefield – First Sunday in May at the Cathedral of St. Matthew at 11:30 am. Ceremony across the street after Mass at the Monument erected to honor the Nuns who cared for the wounded soldiers on the battlefield for both North and South of the Civil War. This Monument was erected by the Ladies Auxillary in 1924.
- Mass for Deceased Members – First Sunday in November at the Franciscan Monastery to honor our deceased LAOH members
St. Patrick’s Day
- Gaithersburg Parade – Walk the RIO Mall in Gaithersburg
- DC Parade – Ride Trolley or walk along Consitution Avenue with our AOH brothers
- Dinner – Dinner at a local Irish Restaurant
- Christmas Party
- Irish Embassy Open House
- April Tea
- Events at local Irish Restaurants or Memorials (including Women’s Arsenal at Congressional Cemetary)
We are part of a National Organization of the Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians. For more information about the LAOH you can access the National Website using link below.